1. Place the olive oil and butter over a high heat in a heavy, flameproof casserole. Brown the beef all over, remove and set aside.
2. Reduce the heat, stir in the shallots, garlic and chilli and cook till the shallots are softened.
3. Pour in the wine vinegar, stock and balsamic vinegar, raise the heat and bring it to the boil.
4. Stir in the spices and sugar, then add the meat and beetroot, season well with salt and plenty of black pepper.
5. Cover the casserole and put it in a preheated oven to 160DegC for 1 1/2 -2 hours.
6. Bring the casserole out and let it rest, skim off the fat if any. If the sauce is a little thin, thicken with a mixture of half flour and half butter, then mix together crème fraiche, mustard, horseradish, and stir into the casserole before serving.
7. Serve the casserole with plenty of celeriac and potato mash.