1. Heat the stock in a saucepan until just simmering, leave on a low heat. Melt the butter and olive oil in a heavy based saucepan until the butter is just foaming.
2. Add the diced shallots and sauté, stirring for 2 - 3 minutes until softened but not brown, then add the rice and garlic and mix with the shallots butter and oil. Cook until the rice turns slightly opaque but not browned, approximately 1 minute.
3. Add a good ladleful of hot stock. Stir until all the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding the stock a ladleful at a time stirring constantly until the rice is slightly al denté i.e. with a slight bite to it. The consistency should be a thick porridge. Add the two cheeses and mix well. Season with black pepper and sea salt.
4. Stir in the rocket and cook for a further 30 seconds or until the rocket is just wilted. Remove from the heat. If the risotto becomes too thick add a little more stock, then serve with roasted whole balsamic shallots and shavings of parmesan.
• For balsamic shallots, roast peeled whole shallots in some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of sugar at 180°C until golden brown and soft. These are also lovely with roast turkey, steaks, duck etc.
• Substitute baby spinach for rocket or top the risotto with basil pesto
• Use another blue cheese i.e. Yorkshire or Danish Blue
• This basic shallot risotto could be used to make wild mushroom and shallot risotto, substitute 150g of grated parmesan cheese for the two cheeses and add 50g soaked porcini mushrooms instead of the rocket halfway through the cooking process.