1. Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade stirring well.
2. Thread a bay leaf onto the first skewer and then alternate the shallots and the lamb onto the wooden skewer and repeat with all skewers. Lay the kebabs in a shallow dish and then pour over the marinade and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours, if possible overnight, in a fridge.
3. Heat a heavy based grill pan or a frying pan, drizzle with the oil, heat well then place the kebabs in the pan and fry on medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes on each side brushing the kebabs with remaining marinade throughout the cooking process. Take care not to have the heat too high or you will burn the marinade.
4. Meanwhile for the dipping sauce mix all the ingredients together.
5. Serve with a green salad, basmati rice and little pots of the dipping sauce.
• These kebabs can also be cooked on a barbeque and the lamb can be replaced with chicken beef or pork.
• For a vegetarian alternative you could use sweet potatoes, courgettes and peppers with the shallots.